Shihui Wen completed his undergraduate course and Bachelor of Engineering in Pharmaceutical Preparations at Shaanxi University of Science and Technology (2009). Then, he received his MS degree (2012) from Donghua University under the direction of Professor Xiangyang Shi (China), which involved research focused on synthesis, characterization and biomedical applications of dendrimer– and branched polyethylenimine polymer- based functionalized nanomaterials. He is currently undertaking his PhD project at UTS advised by Prof. Dayong Jin. His current research involving fabrication of heterogeneous lanthanide-doped nanocrystals and their applications for multimode bioimaging.
09/2005 to Shaanxi University of Science and Technology
07/2009 B. E., Pharmaceutical Preparations,
09/2009 to Donghua University
03/2012 M. S., Organic Chemistry,
08/2014 to Macquarie University
07/2015 PhD candidate
07/2015 to University of Technology, Sydney
now PhD candidate
Heterogeneous Lanthanide-doped Nanocrystals and Their Applications for Multimode Bioimaging
Development of nanocrystals with heterogeneous crystalline in one nanoplatform will enable their multifunctional properties for different applications. However, the formation of controlled anisotropic nanocrystals still remains a great challenge. My project was based on the facile one-pot hot-injection method to form the desired multifunctional heterogeneous crystalline with tunable size, shape, composition, and properties. The formed nanocrystals could afford their uses as nanoplateform to study the interaction between different parts in nanoscale as well as the further design of multimode bioimaging contrast agents.
Awards and Honors
2005-2006 Excellent Student of Shaanxi University of Science and Technology
2006-2007 Excellent Student Cadres of Shaanxi University of Science and Technology
2007-2008 National Encouragement Scholarship (from Chinese Ministry of Education)
2008-2009 National Encouragement Scholarship; First prize of outstanding graduation thesis; Outstanding Graduates of Shaanxi Province
2009-2010 Outstanding Student of Donghua University; First-Class Scholarship of Donghua University
2010-2011 Academic Research Scholarship of Donghua University
2012-2013 Outstanding master’s thesis of Donghua University
2013-2014 Outstanding master’s thesis of Shanghai
2014-2015 International Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarships
2015-2017 The UTS International Research Scholarship (UTS IRS)
2016-2017 The UTS President’s scholarship (UTSP)
International Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Liu, D.; Xu, X.; Du, Y.; Qin, X.; Zhang, Y.; Ma, C.; Wen, S.; Ren, W.; Goldys, E. M.; Piper, J. A.; Dou, S.; Liu, X.; Jin, D., Three-dimensional controlled growth of monodisperse sub-50 nm heterogeneous nanocrystals. Nature Communications 2016, 7, 10254.
2. Wen, S.; Zhao, Q.; An, X.; Zhu, J.; Hou, W.; Li, K.; Huang, Y.; Shen, M.; Zhu, W.; Shi, X. Multifunctional PEGylated multiwalled carbon nanotubes for enhanced blood pool and tumor MR imaging. Advanced Healthcare Materials 2014, 3, 1568.
3. Wen, S.; Kangan Li, Hongdong Cai, Qian Chen, Mingwu Shen, Yunpeng Huang, Chen Peng, Wenxiu Hou, Meifang Zhu, Guixiang Zhang, Xiangyang Shi. Multifunctional dendrimer-entrapped gold nanoparticles for dual mode CT/MR imaging applications. Biomaterials, 1570-1580 (2013).
4. Wen, S.; Hui Liu, Hongdong Cai, Mingwu Shen, Xiangyang Shi. Targeted and pH-Responsive Delivery of Doxorubicin to Cancer Cells Using Multifunctional Dendrimer-Modified Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes. Advanced Healthcare Materials, 1267-1276 (2013).
5. Wen, S.; Fuyin Zheng, Mingwu Shen, Xiangyang Shi. Synthesis of polyethyleneimine-stabilized gold nanoparticles for colorimetric sensing of heparin. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering, 80-86 (2013).
6. Wen, S.; Fuyin Zheng, Mingwu Shen, Xiangyang Shi. Surface Modification and PEGylation of Branched Polyethyleneimine for Improved Biocompatibility. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 3807-3813 (2013).
7. Kangan Li, Wen, S.; Andrew C Larson, Mingwu Shen, Zhuoli Zhang, Qian Chen, Xiangyang Shi, Guixiang Zhang. Multifunctional dendrimer-based nanoparticles for in vivo MR/CT dual-modal molecular imaging of breast cancer. International Journal of Nanomedicine, 2589-2600 (2013).
8. Tingting Xiao, Wen, S.; Han Wang, Hui Liu, Mingwu Shen, Jinlong Zhao, Guixiang Zhang, Xiangyang Shi. Facile synthesis of acetylated dendrimer-entrapped gold nanoparticles with enhanced gold loading for CT imaging applications. Journal of Materials Chemistry B, 2773-2780 (2013).
9. Li, D.; Wen, S.; Shi, X. Dendrimer-entrapped metal colloids as imaging agents. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology 2015.
10. Qian Chen, Kangan Li, Shihui Wen, Hui Liu, Chen Peng, Hongdong Cai, Mingwu Shen, Guixiang Zhang, Xiangyang Shi. Targeted CT/MR dual mode imaging of tumors using multifunctional dendrimer-entrapped gold nanoparticles. Biomaterials, 5200-5209 (2013).
11. Fuyin Zheng, Shige Wang, Shihui Wen, Mingwu Shen, Meifang Zhu, Xiangyang Shi. Preparation, characterization and antibacterial activity of amoxicillin-loaded electrospun nano-hydroxyapatite/poly(lactic-co-glycolic acid) composite nanofibers. Biomaterials, 1402-1412 (2013).
12. Hui Liu, Yanhong Xu, Shihui Wen, Qian Chen, Linfeng Zheng, Mingwu Shen, Jinglong Zhao, Guixiang Zhang, and Xiangyang Shi. Targeted Tumor Computed Tomography Imaging Using Low-Generation Dendrimer-Stabilized Gold Nanoparticles. Chemistry – A European Journal, 6409–6416 (2013).
13. Xueyan Cao, Jingjing Chen, Shihui Wen, Chen Peng, Mingwu Shen, Xiangyang Shi. Effect of surface charge of polyethyleneimine-modified multiwalled carbon nanotubes on the improvement of polymerase chain reaction. Nanoscale, 1741-1747 (2011).
14. Tongyu Xiao, Wenxiu Hou, Xueyan Cao, Shihui Wen, Mingwu Shen, Xiangyang Shi. Dendrimer-entrapped gold nanoparticles modified with folic acid for targeted gene delivery applications. Biomaterials Science, 1172-1180 (2013).
Peer-Reviewed Proceeding Papers
15. Wen S., Liu D., Ren W., Ma C., Shi B., Xu X., Jin D. Developing multifunctional heterogeneous upconversion nanocrystals for multimodality bioimaging and biomedicine. 6th International Nanomedicine Conference, Sydney, Australia, July 6-8, 2015.
16. Wen S., Zheng F., Shi X. Improved biocompatibility of polyethyleneimine modified with acetamide, hydroxyl, carboxyl groups and PEG chains. Proceedings of 2011 International Forum on Biomedical Textile Materials, 2011, 189-193. (ISTP)
17. Xiangyang Shi,* Shihui Wen, Kangan Li, Guixiang Zhang. Multifunctional Dendrimer-based Nanoparticles for Dual Mode CT/MRI Molecular Imaging. 9th World Biomaterials Congress, Chengdu, China, June 1-5, 2012.
18. Wen S., Liu H., Hongdong Cai, Mingwu Shen, Xiangyang Shi*. Targeted and pH-responsive delivery of doxorubicin to cancer cells using multifunctional dendrimer-modified multi-walled carbon nanotubes. Abstracts of Papers, 245th ACS National Meeting & Exposition, New Orleans, LA, United States, April 7-11, 2013.