Aiden is a PhD alumnus of the electron beam chemistry group. He studied gas-mediated electron beam induced etching (EBIE), and was primarily supervised by Professor Milos Toth.
Aiden’s research involved the study of gas-substrate interactions, and electron and ion induced processes in a range of materials including diamond, silicon, silica aerogel, ultra nano-crystalline diamond, carbon nanotubes and wide band gap semiconductors. He also designed and developed new processes and hardware for electron beam induced etching and deposition.
Details of Work Performed During PhD: Gas-mediated electron beam induced etching
Prof. Milos Toth, Dr. Charlene Lobo, Prof. Matthew Phillips and A. Prof. Igor Aharonovich
Nanolithography, Nanophotonics, Bottom-up growth.
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Maskless milling of diamond by a focused oxygen ion beam, A. Martin, S. Randolph, A. Botman, M. Toth and I. Aharonovich, Sci. Rep., 5, 8958, 2015
- Study of narrowband single photon emitters in polycrystalline diamond films, R. G. Sandstrom, Olga Shimoni, A. Martin and I. Aharonovich, Appl. Phys. Lett., 105 (18) p. 181104, 2014
- Cryogenic electron beam induced chemical etching, A. Martin and M. Toth, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 6 (21) p. 18457 – 18460, 2014
- Electron beam-controlled modification of luminescent centers in a polycrystalline diamond thin film, C. Zachreson, A. Martin, M. Toth and I. Aharonovich, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 6 (13), p. 10367 – 10372, 2014
- Localized chemical switching of the charge state of nitrogen-vacancy luminescence centers in diamond, T. Shanley, A. Martin, I. Aharonovich and M. Toth, Appl. Phys. Lett., 105 (6), p. 063103, 2014
- Subtractive 3D printing of optically active diamond structures, A. Martin, M. Toth and I. Aharonovich, Sci. Rep., 4, 5022, 2014
- Dynamic surface site activation: A rate limiting process in electron beam induced etching, A. Martin, M. R. Phillips and M. Toth, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5 (16), p. 8002 8007, 2013
- Role of activated chemisorption in gas-mediated electron beam induced deposition, J. Bishop, C. Lobo, A. Martin, M. Ford, M. R. Phillips and M. Toth, Phys. Rev. Lett., 109 (14), p. 146103, 2012
- Electron beam induced chemical dry etching and imaging in gaseous NH3 environments, C. Lobo, A. Martin, M. R. Phillips and M. Toth, Nanotechnology, 23 (37), p. 375302, 2012
- Gas-mediated electron beam induced etching – From fundamental physics to
device fabrication, A. A. Martin, I. Aharonovich and M. Toth, Microscopy and Microanalysis 2014 Meeting, Hartford, Connecticut, United States, August 2014
- Electron beam induced etching of optoelectronic materials: Functional structures and novel processing methods, A. Martin, I. Aharonovich and M. Toth, FEBIP 2014, Frankfurt, Germany, July 2014
- Nanoscale electron beam chemical etching enabled by cryogenic substrate cooling, A. Martin and M. Toth, ACMM23 and ICONN2014, Adelaide, Australia, February 2014
- Workshop presentation: EM maintenance, ACMM23 and ICONN2014, Adelaide, Australia, February 2014
- Electron beam induced etching of carbon’, A. Martin, M. R. Phillips, M. Toth, Australian Microbeam Analysis Society XII Conference, Sydney, Australia, February 2013
- Workshop presentation: EM maintenance, Australian Microbeam Analysis Society XII Conference, Sydney, Australia, February 2013
- Electron Beam Extraction of Cometary Material from STARDUST Silica Aerogel, Martin, M. Toth, T. Lin, E. Silver, E. Vicenzi, A. Westphal, J. Beeman, E. Haller, G. J. MacPherson, and M. Burchell, 20thAustralian Institute of Physics Conference, Sydney, Australia, December 2012
- Damage generation in ultra nano-crystalline diamond by low energy electron irradiation, A. Martin, J. Cullen, M. R. Phiilips, M. Toth, Materials Research Society, Fall Meeting, Boston, United States, November 2012
- H2O mediated electron-beam-induced etching of diamond and graphite, A. Martin, J. Cullen, M. R. Phillips, M. Toth, ACMM 2012 / APMC 10 / ICONN 2012, Perth, Australia, February 2012
Title: Electron beam-induced etching
- Martin and M. Toth, 10th June, 2013. U.S. Application Number 20140363978.
- M&M 2014 Meeting Scholar, Microscopy and Microanalysis 2014 Meeting, Hartford, Connecticut, United States, August 2014
- Best Student Presentation, Australian Microbeam Analysis Society, 12th Biennial Symposium, Sydney, February 2013
- John Stocker Postgraduate Scholarship, Science and Industry Endowment Fund, April 2012 Award: $17,000 per annum (three years) Collaborators: FEI Company and Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics